PSR - PASS
||4 days, 3 nights
||Maximum 20 adult advisors
||Experienced Philmont Staff
What is PSR-PASS?
The Philmont Advisor Skills School conducted at Philmont Scout Ranch (PSR-PASS) is an exciting 4-day, 3-night program developed to help adult advisors confidently lead their crew in Philmont trek preparations. PSR-PASS is designed and targeted towards adult advisors on 2018 treks. PSR-PASS participants will enjoy a full weekend of instruction by experienced Philmont staff to achieve a thorough understanding of the following:
- Land navigation
- Hiking etiquette and safety
- Setting up a campsite in Philmont’s backcountry
- Smellables and bear bag hanging
- Dining fly and tent setup
- Gas stove operation and care
- Philmont’s backcountry cooking method
- Dish washing and sump use
- Campfire procedures
- Efficiently breaking camp
- Crew leadership positions
- Physical conditioning
- Travel to and from Philmont
- Conducting a shakedown hike
- Establishing a crew Philmont committee
PASS programs provide key experience to crew advisors to encourage constructive and smooth preparations for your Philmont trek.
REGISTER FOR PSR - PASS
PSR-PASS is held at Philmont Scout Ranch.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
The cost to attend is and covers lodging, gear, eight meals, and PASS materials including the PASS Patch.
HOW DO I REGISTER?
- To register, click the orange "Register" buttons or any individual course date and location on this page.
- These links will direct you to the Tooth of Time Traders website to pay for your course. Double check you have selected the correct course date and location before you check out.
- After you pay, a message stating the transaction has been authorized will appear, and you will receive an email with that information.
- A second email will be sent stating that your item has been shipped. Please disregard this email as all PASS materials will be distributed at your course.
- Your PASS Instructors will contact you via email approximately one month before the course date to provide you with more information.
WHO IS INVITED?
PSR-PASS is designed and targeted towards adult advisors on 2018 treks. However, all adult advisors – whether registered for an upcoming trek, or just generally interested in learning more about Philmont – are invited to attend a PSR-PASS course. To maximize learning opportunities and student-to-teacher ratios, only 20 adult advisors are accepted for each weekend course.
PSR-PASS will take place on the following weekends:
- Friday, September 8th - Monday, September 11th
- Friday, September 15th - Monday, September 18th
- Friday, September 22nd - Monday, September 25th
- Friday, October 6th - Monday, October 9th
- Friday, October 13th - Monday, October 16th
- Friday, October 20th - Monday, October 23th
Revised on 4/10/2017
WHAT TO EXPECT
PSR-PASS features a one night adventure into the Philmont backcountry led by experienced members of Philmont's Ranger and Backcountry Departments and training sessions in base camp.
Day 1 (Friday) The program begins with receiving tenting accommodations and gear, then an introduction to Philmont to familiarize yourself with the Ranch and the training you will receive over the course of the weekend. You should plan to arrive at Philmont by 5:00 pm. Note: transportation to/from Philmont Scout Ranch is not provided, but you may be able to coordinate with other participants.
Day 2 (Saturday) Activities include a gear shakedown and base camp tour. Participants will be transported into Philmont’s backcountry wilderness. After hiking to a backcountry trail camp, the PASS Instructors will lead you in learning the fundamentals of camping at Philmont.
Day 3 (Sunday) Begins by wrapping up backcountry instruction and returning to base camp. Activities for Sunday include a tour of Waite Phillip’s summer home, the Villa Philmonte, as well as a classroom session regarding crew leadership positions and forming high adventure committees. The session will include materials to share with those at home. Additionally, the Tooth of Time Traders – The Official Philmont Store – will be open for gear and souvenir purchases. The day will conclude with a special dinner banquet to recognize your training.
Day 4 (Monday) Breakfast is provided and you are free to depart Philmont and bring your newly learned skills back to your crew.
WHAT GEAR IS PROVIDED?
Philmont will provide the following: tents, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, backpacks, cooking equipment, and typical crew gear (cooking pots, trail food, etc.). Participants need to provide their own clothing and personal items such as a headlamp, bowl, spoon, etc.
REGISTER FOR PSR - PASS