Philmont Advisor Workshop (PAW)
The Philmont Advisor Workshop (PAW) is an exciting program developed to help adult advisors in confidently leading their crew in Philmont trek preparations. PAW participants will enjoy an instructional introduction to Philmont and achieve a thorough understanding of the following:
- Physical conditioning
- Philmont-issued gear
- Conducting a shakedown hike
- Crew leadership positions
- Preparing youth leaders prior to your trek
- Travel to and from Philmont
- Establishing a crew Philmont committee
PAW programs provide key knowledge to crew advisors to encourage constructive and smooth preparations for your Philmont trek.
WHAT TO EXPECT
PAW courses will be two hour evening workshops (typically 7:00pm-9:00pm) and will cover skills such as what kind of gear to take on your trek, tips and tricks for getting into the proper physical condition for a Philmont trek, and a rundown of the different leadership positions within your crew and how you can better prepare the youth for their leadership role.
WHO IS INVITED?
All adult advisors – whether registered for an upcoming trek, or just generally interested in learning more about Philmont – are invited to attend a Field-PASS course.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
The cost is and covers PAW materials including the PAW Patch.
WHEN AND WHERE
PAW locations are listed by general region and actual locations will be within 60 miles of the listed city.
- Tuesday, October 18 – Philadelphia, PA
- Roger S. Firestone Scouting Resource Center
1485 Valley Forge Road
Wayne, PA 19087
- Wednesday, October 19 – Cleveland, OH
- Greater Cleveland Council Office
2241 Woodland Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44115
- Thursday, October 20 – Indianapolis, IN
- Golden-Burke Scout Center
7125 Fall Creek Road N.
Indianapolis, IN 46256
- Thursday, October 20 – Baltimore, MD
- Schapiro Scout Service Center
701 Wyman Park Drive
Baltimore, MD 21211
- Wednesday, October 26 – Tulsa, OK
- Graves Scout Reservation - Jack Graves Outdoor Education Center
101 East St
Broken Arrow, OK 74014
- Wednesday, October 26 – Richmond, VA
- Camp T. Brady Saunders
1723 Maidens Rd.
Maidens, VA 23102
- Thursday, October 27 – Wichita, KS
- Quivira Council Office
3247 N Oliver Ave
Wichita, KS 67220
- Tuesday, November 1 – Austin, TX
- Frank Fickett Scout Training and Service Center
12500 North IH 35
Austin, TX 78753
- Tuesday, November 1 – Charlotte, NC
- Mecklenburg Council Office
1410 E 7th St.
Charlotte, NC 28204
- Thursday, November 3 – San Antonio, TX
- Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic School - Cafeteria
16075 N Evans Rd.
Selma, TX 78154
- Thursday, November 3 – Jacksonville, FL
- St. Johns River Base – Ashley Lodge
2513 Doctors Lake Dr.
Orange Park, FL 32073
- Tuesday, November 8 – Baton Rouge, LA
- Istrouma Area Council Office
9644 Brookline Ave.
Baton Rouge, LA 70809
- Wednesday, November 9 – New Orleans, LA
- Southeast Louisiana Council Office - 2nd Floor Conference Room
4200 South I 10 Service Rd. W
Metairie, LA 70001
- Thursday, November 10 – Birmingham, AL
- Trinity United Methodist Church – Fellowship Hall
1400 Oxmoor Road
Homewood, Alabama 35209
Revised on 11/7/2016